Monday, June 23, 2014

Kalahari Plains Day 4: The black-maned lion

_DSC6569

A male lion had been roaring near the camp throughout the night. I have to say that in the nighttime quiet of the Kalahari, the roar of an adult male lion gathers your attention. You know exactly what that sound is.

We set out to find him on the morning drive. Soon enough, we spotted him. The light was poor this early, but we kept on him and the light grew better.

He was out marking the perimeter of his territory. Later, we found two females with six cubs. All had full bellies, so it appears they made a kill while the male was out. They dashed off into the bush before I could amass a full measure of photos.

A view from out on the plains.

Kalahari Plains  29

After the morning drive and breakfast, I was driven to the Kalahari Plains airstrip for flights to Maun and back to Johannesburg. I was able to catch some video of the Wilderness Caravan coming in to land at the bush airstrip.

Landing at Kalahari Plains Camp


Air Botswana got me back to OR Tambo in Johannesburg.

IMG_4403

From there, I jumped on the Gautrain and rode out to Sandton.

IMG_4404

In Sandton, I lodged at the Radisson Blu Gautrain, conveniently located across the street from the train station.

My keepers from
Kalahari Day 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment