Sunday, June 28, 2015

AUWPS 3 + Optional Denali Flightseeing

_DSC2426

Though I hadn't made a proper reservation on my own, I was able to get in on a flight seeing tour after dinner, thanks to John at North Face Lodge. In general, flightseeing is not cheap, long, or luxuriously comfortable. And you don't want to miss it when it's available.

Our Kantisha Air Taxi pilot flew us around Denali's Wickersham Wall. We also got great views of the glaciers below Denali's north face. You get a vivid three-dimensional sense of the mountainous terrain from the air: you're moving inside the landscape.

I shot the Nikon D800E with the Nikon AF-S 24-70mm at f/4, 1/1000th and auto-ISO. I also used a polarizer (to saturate colors and to reduce window reflections. If I were to do it again, I'd dare to jump to f/5.6 as the ISO never got out of half with available light at f/4. But remember, I needed to keep the shutter fast (shooting from a moving vehicle rife with vibration), and I was casting out half my light using a polarizer. But I wouldn't want to be without the polarizer for reflection elimination and sky deepening. Photography is an unending series of compromises!

Denali Flightseeing Stills (You are definitely going to want to click into full screen on this slide show!)


Denali Flightseeing Videoclip Montage
COMING SOON

No comments:

Post a Comment